Men, Get a Pedicure
Posted by Jenn F. on Tuesday, February 14th, 2012
It’s Valentine’s Day, and while chocolate, flowers, and a candlelight dinner are nice, here’s something you guys can do for the loves in your life that’s good for you, too: get a pedicure.
Yes, that’s right, I said a pedicure, as in walk into a nail salon, possibly named something like “Blossom’s Nails,” where there is a rack of nail polish on the wall, fashion magazines on a table, and women everywhere, getting things like stars and flowers painted on their nails. I know, you’re thinking, “Can’t I just buy tickets to ‘The Vow?’ I can sleep during that.” But here’s why a pedicure is a win-win for you…and everyone else in your life.
- Your Feet Hurt…the One You Love If you haven’t done any kind of foot care in a while, then chances are good that the person lying next to you in bed is dodging your feet while you snooze away. No one wants your thick, ragged toenails and sandpaper like calluses scraping up their legs. A pedicure can get your nails into shape and soften up those calluses so no one has to feel like they’re sleeping next to Dragon Foot. You’ll get a big thank you for this one.
- Strong, Healthy Feet are Manly A pedicure may seem like a frivolous thing, but it’s also good for your feet. It will get the dead skin cells off your feet and fix up your cuticles so you’ll be less likely to get hangnails and other nagging little rips and tears that can lead to infections. Healthy feet are strong feet!
- It’s Private Are you worried about your buddy walking by and seeing you sitting in nail salon? Good news, the pedicure area is usually located in the back of the salon and is fairly hidden. If you’re genuinely scared that someone will think less of you because you’re getting a pedicure, don’t worry–chances are no one will see you. If you’re still intimidated about walking into a nail salon, look for a barber shop that offers nail services. They are out there.
- Mythbuster: You Don’t Have to Get Polish If you like the idea of taking care of your feet, but are freaked out about the idea of nail polish, don’t worry, you just say no. The salon is fine with that. It’s not a requirement. If you do, however, feel like you want to try something out, many salons have a selection of colors geared towards men.
- Happy Feet Are you aware that pedicures start out by soaking your feet in a hot foot bath? Do you know that you get a foot massage? All of this can be yours, my friend. I know few people who will turn down a foot massage. And if you’ve never had one, well, once you have, there’s no going back.
- Relax, Man Do you think the reason women are so desperate to avoid missing their appointment at the nail salon is really just concern about the color of their polish? No. For a lot of women I know, whether they’re high-level executives or stay at home moms, a trip to the nail salon is the only genuinely free time they get where they really don’t have to do anything except just get their hands and feet fixed up. If you have trouble giving yourself a little downtime, try getting a pedicure.
- You’re the Man How about going to get a pedicure with the one you love? It can be some time away from everything else for just the two of you. No food, no movie, nothing but relaxation. If you love it, great. If you don’t, then you’ll have it to cash in later for a favor (“Well, I was willing to go and get a pedicure with you…”). If you find a salon with fish tanks, even better for your relaxation.
- You Never Know Who You’ll Meet Both men and women complain about finding places to meet someone decent, when the obvious answer is, “Go where you’ll find lots of the sex you want to meet without a lot of competition around.” If you want to meet a woman, you’ll find plenty at a nail salon. And here’s what they’ll think about you: “This is a guy who takes care of himself and he is very secure in his masculinity. I like that.”
So man up and get a pedicure. It’s something for the one you love, and something that will also be great for you and your foot health. And if you suspect something serious is up with your nails or feet, contact us at The Center for Podiatric Care and Sports Medicine. Dr. Josef J. Geldwert, Dr. Katherine Lai, and Dr. Ryan Minara have helped thousands of people get back on their feet.
If you have any foot problems or pain, contact The Center for Podiatric Care and Sports Medicine. Dr. Josef J. Geldwert, Dr. Katherine Lai, Dr. Ryan Minara and Dr. Mariola Rivera have helped thousands of people get back on their feet. Unfortunately, we cannot give diagnoses or treatment advice online. Please make an appointment to see us if you live in the NY metropolitan area or seek out a podiatrist in your area.